A New Year and Some FO's

I realize it's nearly an entire month into 2010 and I'm just getting around to acknowledging the new year on my blog. Let me explain because I promise that I have a good reason!

Inspired is the word. I've been spending a lot of time recently finding new blogs and podcasts, and let me just say, there is some really good stuff out there. I'm hoping some of it will rub off on me and we'll start with a recent observation. The start of the new year is a time for making resolutions. Astute, I know.

I've never been a resolutions person. I've always had long-term life goals or traditions. For example, it was my goal for many, many years to be a museum curator. Not specific to a new year at all. I also have traditions, such as trying something new on New Year's Day, or summarizing the events of the previous year as a point of reflection. Resolutions seem superfluous to me. The vast majority of people don't keep them and good intentions don't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

After my recent exploration of the blogosphere though, I've come to realize that resolutions can be a worthwhile effort, if only as an assay of progress over the year. To me, resolutions were nebulous promises of self-improvement - you made a resolution to lose weight or get fit or to stop drinking soda. It's beginning to dawn on me that resolutions can be more practical in nature. I've heard of people resolving to spend 30 minutes per week on the spinning wheel, or reading 26 books per year. Those are reasonable, attainable resolutions. I need to resolve to make some of those!

Now, this post is a little premature. I'm still thinking about the resolutions I'd like to make. But seriously, if I wait until my list is ready it will be August and that's a bit late for New Year's Resolutions. I could wait until the March Equinox which is more in tune with my druidic leanings, but that's two months away. Sure, I'd have a completed list by then, but it wouldn't mean as much. Besides, it makes more sense to reset your resolutions on a solstice anyway. The equinox is a time for balance, not beginnings.

Ahem, small tangent there. I apologize. Anyway, here is my partial list of almost-New Year's resolutions:
  • Knit one pair of socks per month. Yes, January counts.
  • Knit three sweaters this year. As I haven't knit any adult sweaters yet, three seems like a lot.
  • Spend 30 minutes per week on my spinning wheel, provided I have fiber to work on. 
  • Read 12 new books this year.
  • Have my own place by December 1st, 2010. 
None of those goals seem particularly challenging, but seeing as how I'm a resolution noob I should start small to bolster my confidence. Or something along those lines.

Now, there is an over-arching resolution here that ties into everything else. Namely, by keeping to those resolutions, I should be able to achieve this last one - update my blog regularly! I am intentionally keeping that vague because I haven't identified a regular schedule that work for me yet. I seem to post at least once a month but I don't think that's often enough. Hopefully by setting smaller goals with products as results, I will have a steady flow of material to add to the blog.

Speaking of products, let me share a few FO's with you! First off, the Japanese Fan and Feather Scarf (Ravelry link) which was a holiday gift:




Next up, the Secret Santa present I made for my knitting group's exchange. It's a dice bag (Ravelry link)!


And here's my first adult-sized garment, a tweed shrug/vest thing (Ravelry link).


I also have a slew of other projects that I've finished recently but I don't want to post pictures of all of them here. If you're really curious, I encourage you to look at all my finished objects on Picasa (see slideshow at right), or look me up on Ravelry.

Lastly, I mentioned a bunch of lovely blogs and podcasts at the beginning of this post. I'm still working on honing my list down and once I do, I will post what I listen to and read regularly. Otherwise, please check out my blogroll for some written-word inspiration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment