The Baby Cardigan

I'm scared.

May as well get that out right away.

I knitted up a swatch and for some bizarre, unexplainable reason, I didn't knit tight enough. Is that even possible? Seriously?

My gauge should be 13 st and 17 rows over 2 inches. I got 12 st and 16.5 rows. Yeah, I didn't knit tight enough. I'm as shocked as you are.

Now I need to decide if I just risk my gauge and knit the pattern anyway, or if I try to go down a needle size... I'm thinking I should just risk it, because chances are good that my knitting will tighten up a little. I mean, seriously. I knit so tightly I can barely move the stitches on my needles.

Still, the discrepancy is enough to scare me. I've read enough about knitting to know that not getting gauge correct can be truly disastrous, particularly if you're knitting a fitted garment. I don't want to screw this up.

Then again, it is just a baby sweater. Not to say that I don't want it to turn out well, but it isn't like I'm using really rare, delicate, expensive yarn with an absolutely unforgiving pattern. I also have at least 3 months to get it figured out and finished.

Maybe if I wash my swatch....

0 comments:

Post a Comment